Wednesday, September 17, 2008

“There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California.”

As we prep our house for the pending move, I am suddenly struck with the reality that this move is literally just around corner. We have officially listed our house on a home rental site; we're painting rooms and tossing out junk; we're anxiously anticipating what kind of base accommodations await us. And, all of this will be happening in a mere 83 days. Toss a few TDY's for Brandon, a couple of holidays, and using up some much needed leave time ~ and the next thing you know... we're outta here!!

I grew up living in the same town, on the same street, and in the same house for 18 years. It's sad to think of how many times Ashton will be packing up her room and embarking on the quest to make new friends in new schools. She will never know what it's like to start school in kindergarten with the same people she will high school graduate with. I never imagined I would be able to pack up my life and move without fear or abandon, but surprisingly, I'm ready for the next adventure. The Air Force is giving us a sampling of what this country has to offer. I hope we can appreciate it and bestow the same appreciation onto our children. My biggest fear is that our kids will feel they don't belong anywhere ~ that they're military 'brats' and drifters. I often hear military kids say they're "not from anywhere" when asked where they grew up. That phrase makes me cringe. Although it's not a city or a state, I hope to hear Ashton say she's from the "military" or the "Air Force" (which, as I've mentioned in a previous post ~ is a world all it's own).

This picture says it all. I have an Iowa drivers licence, Brandon's is from Florida; our three cars are registered in Iowa, Florida & Nevada respectfully; and soon we'll be living in California but residents of Florida, as well as keeping our home in Las Vegas. So far, it hasn't gotten *too* confusing, but - wow. It's still a lot to keep track of!

No comments: